Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm in the Madeit Designer Spotlight

Lucky me, the lovely Bec from madeit interviewed me for madeit's designer spotlight. Here are a few of the Q and A's, you can catch the rest of my interview here.

Tell us a bit about yourself? (name, where you live, general stuff about you)

I’m Mel Paton, a 32 year-old crochet designer from Perth, WA. I also work as a primary school teacher in the public school system. I love both jobs, but have reduced my teaching load this year to have more time and energy to ‘make’. I have no kids, but I do have a live-in boyfriend and a dog.

Can you explain your craft/art and the material you like to use?

I crochet modern accessories for all ages! I make fingerless mittens, scarves, cowls, hats, legwarmers, hair accessories, iPod covers, tea cosies and more. My favourite yarn to use is pure Australian wool. It’s such nice quality and really warm too. I also love alpaca yarn from Peru, but because it is quite expensive I save it for special items. With my extra bits and pieces like buttons and brooch backs, I try to use recycled wherever possible.

Where do you get your inspiration and what is your creative process?

With crochet being such a versatile craft, inspiration for my designs comes from everywhere. You can make so many different shapes and forms from crochet, so there are seemingly endless options for what I can make. I am constantly coming up with new ideas. Some ideas are a bit silly, like my Nozy nose warmer and pom-pom headband. Vintage patterns are also an inspiration, such as the pattern I found for an awesome 70’s crochet bikini I am currently working on.



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful feature! Congrats!

    Wonder what your views are on the late designerAlexander McQueen over at my place?!

    Hope you're having a great week!

    XOXO LOLA:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Pixies haiku! They were so good. I was worried they would have lost it with age but I was put in my place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Congratulations!
    Loved your interview & your new profile pic is wonderful too, you look gorgeous.
    Thanks for your kind words about my jewellery, I'm honoured. xxx

    ReplyDelete