Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crochet Tip 1: turning chain for double crochet

You've asked for it: more crochet patterns and tips on my blog. I'm starting a series of "crochet tips" where I will post tips and techniques that I find useful in my own handiwork, and you might too. So the first tip I've recently discovered has made a big difference to the look of crochet rows.

NEATER TURNING CHAIN FOR DOUBLE CROCHET ROWS

When you get to the end of a row of double crochet, patterns normally require you to turn, then chain 3. The chain 3 counts as the first dc of the next row. But I have a better way to give a neater, more aligned edge. Here's how you do it step-by-step.

1. At the end of the first row of dc, turn but DO NOT chain.

2. Single crochet into the last dc of the previous row.

3. Chain 1. (The sc and ch1 count as a dc)

4. Continue the row of double crochet as normal.

See how much neater you edges look?

x Mel P.

1 comment:

  1. One day I will learn to crochet...until then I will rely on your store for all my crocheted needs.

    ReplyDelete