Sunday, January 15, 2012

Free Crochet Peter Pan Collar Pattern

I love Peter Pan collars. They look cute and whimsical over a vintage dress or floral top. I've been wanting to crochet one for ages, but couldn't find any patterns for a simple collar, so I have designed one myself!

Here's the pattern. Feel free to make as many of these a you like. But if you are going to sell the finished product, please be kind and reference me as the designer.

x Mel.

PETER PAN COLLAR CROCHET PATTERN

Materials: 4 ply cotton - I used Panda brand (but worsted weight acrylic or wool would be fine too), small button or bead.
Hook: 3.5mm
Terminology: American crochet terminology used.

ch 65, turn

Row 1. skip fist 3 ch, dc in each ch to end, turn.

Row 2. ch 3, *dc in each of next 5 dc, 2dc next dc*, repeat to end, turn.

Row 3. ch 3, *dc in each of next 6 dc, 2dc next dc*, repeat to end, turn.

Row 4. ch 3, *dc in each of next 7 dc, 2dc next dc*, repeat to end, finish off.

Row 5 - Edging. With right side facing, join yarn in one corner of foundation chain edge. Sc evenly around around, with 2 sc into corners, until you reach the opposite end of the foundation chain. Chain 5, ss into second last sc just made, and join with a ss. (this is the loop for the button). Finish off.


Sew a button or bead to align with the loop. Collar should measure about 14" around the neck.




That's it! I would love to hear how you went with this project. Happy crocheting!

19 comments:

  1. Hello. I would like to make this for myself but i need a 3 inch wide minimum collar. Can you suggest which row(s) I can repeat so as not to spoil the final look.I'm a little rusty in my crochet skills. I even thought about adding a decorative edge to accomplish the same thing, but not sure I can find anything that would look nice.
    Thank you for your advice and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this!
    I have been looking for a good pattern for a simple collar for awhile now. Most patterns I've found have been for much more elaborate collars.
    I will let you know how everything worked out after I've completed the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anon,
    To make the collar wider, add another dc row after row 4.
    Row 5. ch 3, *dc in each of next 8 dc, 2dc next dc*, repeat to end, finish off.

    Here is an idea for a decorative picot edge. When you are doing the sc edge, after every 3 sc, ch3 then slip stitch into the same st at the base of the chain. THis would create a cute edging.

    Good luck!

    x Mel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, Thank you! I think this will go a long way to dressing up a plain sweater. Charming and lovely!
      Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mel,
    Just finished the collar last night with your suggestions. It looks beautiful, and your edging was perfect. When I was a little girl my mum taught me a picot stitch, but I couldn't remember how to do it. This was it!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so cute! I can't wait to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely, and just what I was searching for...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pattern, thank you. I've just made one for a friend's daughter and have blogged about your design.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad i chance upon this post. been looking for something like this for awhile now. ;D thank you!


    xoxox,
    ruvic
    http://ruvicbe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Is there a way I can make this collar for a little girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try using finer yarn and a smaller hook. Or reduce the length of the starting chain to 55.

      Delete
  10. Love this Mel! I made one and am going to feature it on my blog along with other pattern. It's coming up here in a week or so. I did site you of course. Thanks for the awesome pattern.
    xo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Taylor! Your blue collar looks super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Mel, I noted that your white version has more space than the blue. Is there a difference in the pattern?

    Regards
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!! Really nice design, thanks for sharing.

    I will try it.


    Regards,


    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting this! I made one and its really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is there this pattern in spanish? Thank very much!!
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  16. the 5th row confuses me! haha,can someone explain it to me again?

    ReplyDelete